Snort mailing list archives

RE: welchia rule

From: "Schmehl, Paul L" <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 16:07:22 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Leonard Miller [mailto:Leonard.Miller () udlp com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 2:39 PM
To: snort-users () lists sourceforge net; dortega () uacj mx;
Leonard Miller; Schmehl, Paul L
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] welchia rule

Would it matter if the payload was aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
and not aaaa aaaa aaaa aaaa
The reason I ask is that I saw on arachNIDS that the rule was
a little different and picked up as CyberKit 2.2 Windows

Not really.  It's just convention to separate them that way.  It makes
it easier to read the hex when it varies.

BTW, I just upgraded a snort box to 2.0.2 and edited the rule to include
thresholding.  It's working great and appears to have eliminated all
"false positives", AFAICT.

Here it is:

# This rule is for tracking Nachi infections
alert icmp $HOME_NET any -> any any (msg: "ALERT!!! NACHI Infection!!";\
 content: "|aaaa aaaa aaaa aaaa aaaa aaaa aaaa aaaa aaaa aaaa aaaa aaaa\
 aaaa aaaa aaaa aaaa aaaa aaaa aaaa aaaa aaaa aaaa aaaa aaaa aaaa aaaa\
 aaaa aaaa aaaa aaaa aaaa|"; dsize:64; itype: 8; icode: 0; threshold:\
 type limit, track by_src, count 500, seconds 60;
classtype:trojan-activity;\
 sid: 10000008; rev: 2;)

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer