Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort logging to encrypted MySQL (ssl) server?

From: David DeCoster <decoster () engr wisc edu>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 12:37:16 -0600

Yup, the ssl encrypted mysql connection works fine with the command line
client (the "mysql -h foo.bar.com -u anyone -p") connects and passes
encrypted data, just like the mysql documentation says it should.

The only thing that caught me, was that I hadn't run the scripts to
update the grant tables.  After I did that, I just redid the grant for
the snort user, added "REQUIRE SSL", created the appropriate
certificates and the mysql client was happy.

I then rebuilt the snort 2.0.2 (and now 2.0.3) with the newer mysql
source (revision 4.0.3 according to debian's dpkg output) and what I see
is this:

ERROR: database: mysql_error: Access denied for user: \
'snort () foo xxx wisc edu' (Using password: YES)

When I remove the REQUIRE SSL, things are happy again and it connects to
the database with no problems.

Also, I strace'd the snort startup and the execution of the 'mysql'
command and the mysql client looks for the ssl certificates, but snort
does not (it just tries username/password).

-dave