Snort mailing list archives

RE: rules with flow:established not working

From: "Ed Callahan" <snort () edcallahan com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 15:23:01 -0500

Erek -

The rule:

alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"test"; flow:established;)

and the minimal snort.conf:

var HOME_NET 10.2.2.50
var EXTERNAL_NET any
preprocessor frag2
preprocessor stream4: disable_evasion_alerts
preprocessor stream4_reassemble
include c:/snort/etc/classification.config
include c:/snort/etc/reference.config
include c:/snort/rules/local.rules

results in silence. (10.2.2.50 is the IP of the computer I'm debugging
with.) The rule:

alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET 80 (msg:"test";)

gets lots of hits when I visit the servers websites.

Does anyone know how I could use tcpdump (well, windump in my case since I'm
on a Win2003 server) to debug this problem? How does snort know the flow is
established? Can I look at the packets to see if the problem is with the
NIC/OS or with WinPCap/Snort?

Ed Callahan
snort () edcallahan com