Snort mailing list archives

Re: mysql.sock

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 02:22:04 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003, Chris Feldmann wrote:

I'm going to get flamed and pointed sneeringly to some FAQ, I fear (probably
to 8.1, but I can hold my own), because I'm sure I've seen this here or
somewhere, but here goes:

Nope.  We never sneer.  We just simply giggle and point at the drinking
game. ;-)

[...snip...]

ERROR: database: mysql_error: Can't connect to local MySQL server through
socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

The consensus on the web is that this is a permissions problem, but I'm
sure I have my owners and groups for the mysql subdirs correctly
assigned to root and mysql respectively. I'll post ls -l output for
whatever, though; just ask. The most obvious source of the problem is
that mysql.sock does not exist in /var/lib/mysql or anywhere else.
Someone suggested ./configure --with-unix-socket-path=/path in the mysql
build, but that was a non-starter (to quote Ari Fleischer). Snort was
running fine until I decided I wanted to get all fancy with a database
and ACID, but those binary logs are so hard to parse.

I'd say you're well on your way to solving the problem.  Keep up the good
work.

Cheers!

Oh, wait...  You actually wanted an answer?  Ohhhh...  Sorry. ;-)  (Hey,
it's late, I gotta have fun where I can!)

Most likely is that MySQL happens to be using /tmp/mysql.sock instead of
/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock.

You say that using the "--with-unix-socket-path=" option is a 'non
starter'.  I'm not to clear on that.  Care to elaborate a bit more on
that?

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams