Snort mailing list archives

RE: Not Picking up Much WHY "I am pulling out myhair"

From: esavage () digitalrage org
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 10:34:11 -0400 (EDT)

I have just come across some articles stating that if you are running
snort on your firewall as I am and monitoring the external interface. It
all is setup correctly but just because of the way PF acts if you drop it
at the external firewall interface snort never see's the packet can
someone confirm this. I have seen a number of articles and email stating
that snort see's all traffic before it is ever filtered by PF and now have
come across others that say the exact opposite.

Can someone clear this up?

RE: [Snort-users] Not Picking up Much WHY "I am pulling out
myhair"

Snort is running on the firewall itself monitoring the outside interface

directly connected to the net. This is why I am amazed that it is not

picking up anything more. I have just checked it again this morning and

nothing but ICMP. And from everything I have read it says snort running

on a firewall will see every packet before pf does and before any

filtering happens.