Snort mailing list archives

Re: Problem with web-iis rules

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 15:41:47 -0400

At 11:39 AM 10/10/2003, Yan Zhai wrote:
I installed snort on my machine and launched a number of IIS attacks from my machine to another one in the LAN. The other machine is running an unpatched iis4.0 and the attacks are successful. Snort successfully reported the nmap portscans, however, it failed to report the iis attacks. It seems to me that snort just doesn't load up the web-iis rules. Below is my snort.conf, which is the default snort.conf with database output option. Can anyone point out what's the problem with it? Thanks.

Hmm, lack of stream4 and http_decode processors might cause problems here.

The IIS rules are almost all uricontent rules.. this requires http_decode to be enabled to work.

They also use flows, which require stream4 to work.