Snort mailing list archives

Re: FW: (http\_inspect) NON-RFC DEFINED CHAR

From: Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () utc edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 20:39:44 -0500

CMartin () infosol com wrote:

Acutally, just this morning I noticed the same thing, also there are other
http\_inspect alerts that are showing up in my DB.  I'm also looking for
answers :D  I'll check out the archives incase this was addressed when snort
2.1.0 was first released

I have http\_inspect down to controllable levels after generating a non-standard (read: not profile all) definition that all of the noise collects into:

preprocessor http_inspect_server: server default \
    ports { 80 8080 } \
    flow_depth 300 \
    ascii no \
    utf_8 no \
    bare_byte no \
    base36 no \
    iis_unicode no \
    double_decode no \
    non_rfc_char { 0x00 } \
    multi_slash no \
    iis_backslash no \
    directory no \
    apache_whitespace no \
    iis_delimiter no \
    chunk_length 64000 \
    non_strict

This allows you to decode (normalize) anything remotely resembling an HTTP stream without generating (most) alerts. I then use customized server definitions for our REAL servers by IP address (some of which work just fine with either the "iis" or "apache" profiles).

But fully 40% of my alerts are the NON-RFC DEFINED CHAR type and most are related to P2P traffic (not our real web servers, with an IIS exception). It appears you can't turn this alert off (other than turning all alerting off, if even that works).

I've been through the ./docs/README.http_inspect.

The only other annoyance has been POP3 Brute force alerts which I suspect is some users with "auto check new mail" set really short,
or else there is some problem with the threshhold handler.

Jeff