Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort just stop when more 32000 alerts (different IPs) aregenerated

From: twig les <twigles () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 17:02:40 -0800 (PST)

--- "maguiler () cantv net" <maguiler () cantv net> wrote:
Hi

The network I&#8217;m monitoring is quite big (actually
it&#8217;s huge).
Every time
works fine, until more than 32000 alerts (different
IP&#8217;s)
aregenerated.
When this happens, snort just stop probably because of an
operating system
restriction.

This happens, in my networks, about every 20-30 minutes,

You generate 32,000 alerts in 20-30 minutes?  Eegads.  I would
tune the ruleset first, but if the number of directories is an
issue then don't log there (use -N in the command to start
snort).  Just do the Barnyard/database thing, or syslog or whatever.