Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort Sensor Hardware

From: Jason Alexander <lists () itsecurity3 its uiowa edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 16:33:24 -0600

Matt Kettler wrote:

> At 03:59 PM 12/10/2003, SRH-Lists wrote:
>
>> For 1U rackmount boxes pre-installed with linux (several flavor options)
>> or {Net,Free,Open}BSD, check out
>> http://www.ironsystems.com
>>
>> Much cheaper than the Dell 1U's.
>

> They are?
>
> The closest match I could configure is:
>
> dell poweredge 650 2.4g p4, floppy, cdrom, 40g ide, 256m, redhat, dual gig-e
> $1168
>
> Iron systems A220 2.4g p4, no floppy, cdrom, 40g ide,256m, redhat, dual 100mbit (no gig-e)
> $1,008.80 (one gig-e available for +$127)
>
> The A160 can be made to have 2 gig-e's but that's more expensive, but you wind up with more hardware - 4 ethernet interfaces: 2 10/100, 2 10/100/1000. > That one comes in at $1,210.40 for the same basic config, but with 2 onboard 10/100's 1 onboard gig-e, and 1 pci-slot gig-e.
>
> Really I'd see Iron systems as having the advantage in different OS configs, ie: offering BSD's and linux, but the price difference is pretty negligible for same-class hardware. (they do offer much lower end hardware though)

Just looking at the configs I'm not sure. One thing that I was looking for was 64bit PCI. I would think in a snort sensor that would be one of the things that you would want to have the most. Since we don't plan on storing any of the data on the sensors I don't much care about disk speed or size. I only need one Gig-E interface for sure and can probably get away with a 10/100 for the connection to the database.

I guess the better questions is that since there are hundreds of 1U vendors out there what typically hardware are people using. Like
I mentioned before I will be using Gig-E interface but really only
looking at most 40Mbit/s of traffic.

Jason