Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort Sensor Hardware

From: SRH-Lists <giermo () 333tech com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 14:59:15 -0600

If you want to do a "install it yourself", personaly I like the dell
rackmounts.. they aren't the most incredible box in the
world, but they
work well, are inexpensive, and reasonably reliable.
Excellent bang-for-the
buck factor without getting unstable garbage.

If you want something preconfigured, sourcefire would be my
recommendation.. (echoing Robert Shwartz).. they also have
some nice extra
back-end correlation tools. You'd also be supporting Marty,
and the other
Snort devels that work there.

For 1U rackmount boxes pre-installed with linux (several flavor options)
or {Net,Free,Open}BSD, check out
http://www.ironsystems.com

Much cheaper than the Dell 1U's.

-steve