Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort-users () lists sourceforge net

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 18:37:11 -0500

At 06:18 PM 12/9/2003, sama () inf ufsc br wrote:
I've installed Snort 2.0.5 perfectly on a Debian box. This machine is on a
LAN that has a Firewall/Nat box. My question is: How could I set up the snort
box to sensor the LAN behind the firewall/nat ? I put HOME_NET var to the
address of the internal network but, when I tried to scan anothe machine on
this network, the snort didn't get the scan.

Your LAN is likely switched. In this case, you need to do something to make your snort system see all traffic traversing the switch. By definition, switches only send ethernet packets to hosts that need them, not every host in the entire LAN.

On higher-end (managed) switches this can be done by configuring them with a mirror port. The mirror port gets copies of every packet traversing the switch (it does however miss some on a very busy switch.. just by the nature of trying to monitor more traffic than can pass through the mirror port).

Lower end switches (unmanaged ones) don't support anything of this sort. Your only option here is to try to basically break the switch into being a hub using macof to flood its MAC tables.. However, this has serious performance impact, and I wouldn't recomend it in a production environment.