Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort inline behavior

From: "/dev/null" <dev.null () BeginThread com>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 08:42:05 -0600

If you add a QUEUE rule to iptables, you have to make sure that a process
is actually listening to the ip_queue. Otherwise netfilter actually waits
until a process picks up the packets.

Woah.  What happens when snort_inline dies or maybe when we need to
stop/start snort_inline?  Ooops.

I'm guessing there is a "dummy" app that you can set up to always listen to
the queue so this problem doesn't happen?  If not I need to write one.

There is another issue. As soon as snort_inline has decided whether to
drop
or accept a packet, the following iptables rules are not being used
anymore.
The decision whether to accept or drop a packet is solely made in snort
then.
This way you can have the problem that your packet filter ruleset becomes
ineffective.

Yeah, well by the time I've decided to ACCEPT, it's passed through all the
rules it's going to pass through and it really needs to be accepted (minus
the scrutiny of snort_inline).

So I take it if whatever apps are listening to QUEUE don't DROP it, it's
ACCEPTed, eh?

Thanks!