Snort mailing list archives

Re: Can Snort report on 'late collisions'?

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 16:26:37 -0500

At 03:37 PM 11/24/2003, Bryce Stenberg wrote:
I've got a problem on our network where a router log shows it's ethernet
connection is being reset often due to 'late collisions'. Searching google
seemed to indicate a computer connected to it may have a faulty network card
so I need to try to find the offending machine.

also keep in mind that often "late collisions" are usually due to a full-duplex-only adapter being attached to a passive HUB. They generally aren't the result of hardware failures, but it is possble.

Check the machines involved and see if they are all properly set for the right duplex.

Overly-long cables can also cause this problem.

Is there anyway I could use snort (or winpcap) to detect/report on these
late collisions? (even to only show if they are happening or not).  Or is it
not possible as packets get discarded by the hardware?

hmm, not sure.. however I'd suspect if your router is complaining, they *are* happening.