Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort Kernel Module

From: Dragos Ruiu <dr () kyx net>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 01:38:58 -0700

I hesitate to help anyone use snort in-line for general applications;
it's great for special applications, but IPS in general is just another
random communications error injector in my opinion. Networks are
flaky enough without additional assistance. :-P

You'll have performance issues using iptables and linux, and moving
snort into the kernel will speed some things up, but imho you'll start to
run into all kinds of other bottlenecks like the more restrictive kernel
memory subsystems on most os'es.  Don't know if it's worth the bother
to approach the problem that way...

cheers,
--dr

--
Top security experts.  Cutting edge tools, techniques and information.
Tokyo, Japan   November, 2003   http://www.pacsec.jp