Snort mailing list archives

RE: Weird question

From: "Schmehl, Paul L" <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 10:20:34 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Erek Adams [mailto:erek () snort org]
Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 9:36 AM
To: Schmehl, Paul L
Cc: snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Weird question

Not that wierd of a question.  :)

Short answer:  No.

Long answer:  The entire stream isn't saved to the DB.  Only
the packet that caused the alert.  This is where saving the
alerting packets to binary (pcap) form is handy.  I'd suggest
begging, borrowing, or stealing more disk space and running
double logging.  One to DB, one to pcap.

Actually, I think I'll just switch to squil.  (Furiously looking for a
time slot to do all that work....)

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas