Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort as Gigabit Sensor

From: Frank Knobbe <frank () knobbe us>
Date: 31 Jul 2003 16:19:17 -0500

On Thu, 2003-07-31 at 16:02, Chris Green wrote:
Let me ask you this then... is the pcap loop buffered? Does libpcap
buffer packets itself (internally being multi-threaded)? If not, having
at least the acquisition separated and buffered should help Snort not to
drop packets when it is busy logging to the database.

Welcome to why barnyard is a separate process :>  small disk writes
are cheap and buffered by OS, let the pending stuff happen in snort.

Touche. Still didn't answer my question though :)  How much buffering
occurs in libpcap?

Frank