Snort mailing list archives

Snort and HUP.

From: Chris Keladis <chris () cmc optus net au>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 23:44:42 +1000

Evening folks,

I've been reading the FAQ and some old posts on the subject of running snort with the -u / -g switches (not exactly in a chroot() environ), and sending it the SIGHUP signal.

I understand there are two fundamental problems with doing this, one being the relative paths being stuffed up from the execv() call (which is fair enough) and two, as Snort has given up it's root privileges cant re-open the network interface.

I'm wondering if it's worth seeing if i can get Linux to somehow allow the snort user to re-open the ethernet device as the snort user, or does the SIGHUP handler code essentially re-fork Snort such that it loses state and is the same as restarting it?

I'm guessing the latter to be true, but thought i'd check.

Thanks!

Chris.