Snort mailing list archives

Re: Suggested Sig for Cisco DOS Vulnerability

From: "Muenz, Michael" <linux () leute server de>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 14:57:55 +0200

Hey guys,
Doesn't look like a exploit exists as of yet but Cisco just released what
IP
protocols cause the DOS so it won't be long until there is one!

On heise.de ... a public german IT News site they told about
exploits found in the wild.

Here's what I'm using to try to identify this traffic:
alert ip $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"IP Protocol 53 Cisco DOS
Packet"; ip_proto: 53; classtype:denial-of-service;)
alert ip $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"IP Protocol 55 Cisco DOS
Packet"; ip_proto: 55; classtype:denial-of-service;)
alert ip $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"IP Protocol 77 Cisco DOS
Packet"; ip_proto: 77; classtype:denial-of-service;)
alert ip $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"IP Protocol 103 Cisco
DOS
Packet"; ip_proto: 103; classtype:denial-of-service;)

proto 53 is very noisy in my network. In my list it's only
called "SWIPE - IP with Encryption".

- Michael