Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort Error

From: "Nordwall, Douglas J" <Nordwall () pnl gov>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 09:02:03 -0700

On 9/24/03 8:20 AM, "Erek Adams" <erek () snort org> wrote:

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Messay wrote:

I am somewhat a novice with Snort on Linux. I have installed
snort-2.0.2.tar.gz and libpcap-0.7.2.tar.gz on Linux 8.2.

Bzzzzzzt.   No such animal as "Linux 8.2".  I'll take a guess and say you
really mean Red Hat.

Not that there is a redhat 8.2 either. I'm guessing that redhat 7.2 is what
is meant.

I'm running a laptop with 3com pcmcia card.  (model: 3CCFE575CT). I have
win xp on the same machine and have no problems with snort (win version)
I have followed all proper directions for installing snort on Linux and
have received no errors during the process. However when I try to run
snort i get the following error
============
Error: Failed to lookup for interface: no suitable device found. Please
specify one with -i switch. Fatal Error, Quitting...
If anybody has any information or suggesting regarding the error I would
appreciate some feedback. Thanks

Have you specified the interface?

snort -dv -i eth0

And if your card is something other than eth0 replace it with that.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams