Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort Error

From: John Sage <jsage () finchhaven com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 08:48:22 -0700

Messay:

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 07:01:46AM -0700, Messay wrote:
I am somewhat a novice with Snort on Linux. I have installed
snort-2.0.2.tar.gz and libpcap-0.7.2.tar.gz on Linux 8.2. I'm running
a laptop with 3com pcmcia card.
(model: 3CCFE575CT). I have win xp on the same machine and have no
problems with snort (win version)
I have followed all proper directions for installing snort on Linux
and have received no errors during the process. However when I try to
run snort i get the following error
============
Error: Failed to lookup for interface: no suitable device
found. Please specify one with -i
switch. Fatal Error, Quitting...
============
If anybody has any information or suggesting regarding the error I
would appreciate some feedback. Thanks

First of all, is Linux itself able to see your PCMCIA card? Do you
have basic connectivity?

Assuming "Yes"...

How are you starting snort? What is your command line?

Mine reads:

snort202 -b -i ppp0 -o -c /etc/snort/snort202.conf &

Note the "-i ppp0" -- I'm telling snort to look at a specific
interface.

Are you doing something similar?

- John
--
"Warning: time of day goes back, taking countermeasures."

Note: The isc () incidents org email address is an alias for a
 You may receive responses from other individuals on that list.
 Please direct all communications to isc () incidents org, so that
 everyone is kept "in the loop".