Snort mailing list archives

Re: 2.0 GB Max file size on linux packet captures

From: Dragos Ruiu <dr () kyx net>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 18:05:04 -0700

On September 24, 2003 03:42 pm, Scott Williams (Network) wrote:
When I do tcpdump or snort packet captures to disk, I keep hitting a max
file size of 2GB. I've tried different versions of RedHat. From web
searches, it seems like I need to enable Large File Support (LFS), but
this doesn't seem well documented or supported.

Does anyone have experience doing this or is there a linux distro that
defaults to LFS?

Why do you want file segment sizes larger than this? 2gb mouthfulls are
quite a lot. I cycle my capture files at much smaller sizes because searching
through and copying big chunks like this are a pain. 256-512Mb you
can put on a cdr seem nice.

cheers,
--dr

--