Snort mailing list archives

Re: thresholding

From: Doug Nordwall <doug () pnl gov>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 21:43:37 -0700

tried this as well. not working for me

Chris is looking at it, so perhaps some light will be shed

On Monday, September 22, 2003, at 03:09 PM, Robert Vance Jr wrote:

I believe you need to add the thresholding arguments to the signature
definition itself.  Try something like:

alert icmp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET any (msg:"Welchia"; content:"|aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa|";itype:8;depth:32; reference:arachnids,154; sid:483; classtype:misc-activity; threshold: type limit, track by_src, count 1, seconds 60 ; rev:3;)

This should limit you to one welchia alert per infected host per minute.

Also be wary of false positives using this specific sig as it would appear that the yahoo messenger sends a keep alive ping that matches that specific signature as well.

rev