Snort mailing list archives

Re: Re: [Snort-devel] IDS vs IPS

From: Jeff <jcoppock1 () comcast net>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 22:44:56 -0700

Frank Knobbe, 2003-Aug-28 03:47 +0000:
On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 03:16, Jason wrote:
Thanks, I think the matrix shows fairly well that the _new IPS_ is a
natural evolution of the existing firewall.

Right. It is the merger of firewall and IDS. It has as much IDS as
firewall in it. But I wouldn't say that it is closer to either one. It
appears to have evolved into a category of its own.

Agreed.  IDS is evolving...or rather its functionality is spawning new
uses.  The "IPS" function, that of providing an action such as "Deny"
based on a signature match, has a nice fit as a DoS prevention system
for Firewall systems/appliances.  It adds to the overall security of
the device itself, as well as the network(s) it is protecting.  This
IPS capability is based on known attacks and signatures can easily be
updated, modified and added.

You can also have confidence in your firewall because your IDS verifies
what you told the firewall to do and covers your arse when you let
something by because of business requirements or a human error.

Exactly. This is precisely the point that Gartner missed. IDS are far
from obsolete. You always need to have an IDS inside to verify the
function (and detect failure) of the firewall or IPS.

I probably made this prediction before, but here is a good place to do
it again. Mark my words :)  "We will see a new breed of software become
popular soon which is a merger of IDS and forensics software".

I'm with you on that prediction.  IDS has a strong place in Auditing
already and is branching out into other aspects of security to help
complete the security solution.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock            Systems Engineer
Diggin' Debian          Admin and User