Snort mailing list archives

Re: RPMS

From: JP Vossen <vossenjp () netaxs com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 19:40:42 -0400 (EDT)

From: Brian Whitehead <brian () whiteheadconsulting com>
To: snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Date: 20 Aug 2003 13:19:08 -0500
Subject: [Snort-users] RPMS

Is anyone maintaining rpm packages for snort these days or at least have
a decent spec file that I can start with?

There will again be Official Snort.org RPMs Real Soon Now.  Dan Wittenberg and
I have taken over maintenance for the RPMs.  We are trying to find the time to
do some last minute tweaks and we will be ready.  I also hope to have a beta
test in this group ASAP.  But as probably happened to everyone reading this,
the Worm De Jur has seriously impacted our free time, as shown by my very
delayed response...

There will be a new, extremely modified SPEC file, actual documentation, and
coolest of all, the ability to do the following and have it just work (when
2.0.2 is released):
        rpmbuild -ta snort-2.0.2.tar.gz
 -- OR --
        rpmbuild -ta snort-current.tar.gz

Snort.org will provide binary packages for snort itself (including docs and
contrib), MySQL and PostgreSQL (all three with statically compiled flexresp).
If you don't like those it will be trivially easy to build your own (assuming
your system meets the dependencies).

Later,
JP
JP Vossen, CISSP              |:::======|         jp{at}jpsdomain{dot}org
You used to have to reboot the Windows 9.x series every couple of days
because it would crash.  Now you have to reboot Windows 200x or XP every
couple of days because of a patch.  How is that better or more stable?