Snort mailing list archives

Snort RULES and Variables want to kill me!

From: "Jake Schneider" <j4k3 () charter net>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 18:45:00 -0500

Hello I have a rule set that wants to eat me, well actually it's
probably more of my own misunderstanding than anything, but could anyone
give me some insight in to my situation?

I have in my snort.conf defined EXTERNAL_NET like this;

var EXTERNAL_NET [!192.168.0.0/24,!192.168.1.0/24,!192.168.2.0]

Yet when snort runs, it logs tons of alerts from broken NT4 domain
controllers generating bogus alerts and spamming my logs with garbage. I
was hoping that the above decleration of my external net would tell
snort to ignore all those IP ranges and log everything else. My question
is, how to I get my internal network to be disregarded to snort, and
only focus on external alerts. Apparently I'm missing something.

Jake Schneider

jschneider () mscdata com

(281)827-0896

http://www.mscdata.com/