Snort mailing list archives

Snort user -u/-g and permissions docs?

From: "Gordon Cunningham" <gacunningham () bellsouth net>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 15:21:18 -0400

I'm think I'm having problems with permissions on a RedHat 8.0 snort
install.  I'm pretty sure it's the permissions of various directories and
files, but I can't seem to find the solution.  The logs don't help - they
show snort starting properly (initialization complete), but shortly after
that snort shuts down with no message.  It must be having trouble when
changing the user.  I use the -u <username> -g <groupname> on the command
line.  Does anyone have docs or step-by-step instructions about using those
switches and what permissions need to be set for specific files/directories?

Or should I look into setuid or chroot for snort?

Thanks.

- Gordon

"The software said it requires Windows 98 or better, so I installed
Linux..."