Snort mailing list archives

RE: link between MP3 sites and Cyberkit pings ?

From: "Williams Jon" <WilliamsJonathan () JohnDeere com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 13:58:18 -0500

Word of caution, not all CyberKit ping alerts out there are Welchia infections.  Or, at least, not Welchia v1.

I'm seeing a variety of traffic patterns across the various networks I watch:

1) Classic Welchia scanning (i.e. for A.B.C.D, pick A.B, scan sequentially C.D from 0.0 through 255.255) in large
volume (i.e. 20,000 destinations in 5 minutes).  Simultaneous infections select random starting A.B ranges.
2) Hosts pinging pairs of addresses (either 204.71.200.33/204.71.200.34 or 64.58.77.85/66.218.71.63), alternating back
and forth between the two, one ping every 3-5 seconds.
3) Welchia-type scanning, but modified so that the scanning is randomized.  If the destination hosts for a single
source are sorted, though, it reveals that it selected, for example, 10.1.18.45, 10.2.97.34, 10.3.55.78, etc.  These
are also in the large volume, 20,000-25,0000 destinations in 5 minutes, no duplicates.
4) Welchia-type scanning, but instead of one ping per destination, two pings per destination, large volume.
5) Two seperate hosts, scanning with Classic Welchia method, but scanning subnets close to each other (i.e. 10.66.x.y
and 10.68.x.y).

Since I don't do research, I don't really know what this means, but if what I've read about Welchia is accurate, then
only one of the above types of traffic above is coming from Welchia-infected machines.  What's the rest from?

Jon