Snort mailing list archives

Re: Re: [Snort-devel] IDS vs IPS

From: Mark Teicher <mht3 () earthlink net>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 07:42:44 -0600 (MDT)

Jeff, and others.

I would someone on this list to actually define Intrusion Prevention System (IPS).  I have observed several companies
over the last two years claim they are an IPS product but in essence are not.  I have also observed companies
advertising they are a personal desktop or desktop IDS and recently changed their marketing announcing they are now an
IPS product.

I have yet to see a product to live up to the hype of IPS..
or am I missing something..

/thx

/mark