Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snorting SSL

From: Jason Haar <Jason.Haar () trimble co nz>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 16:21:58 +1200

Hutchinson, Andrew wrote:
I may be wrong, but the only good way that I know of to do this is to
use an SSL Accelerator, and run your ISD behind it.  This can often be
combined with a we server load balancing solution, from folks like
Radware or F5.  The accelerator terminates the SSL sessions and then
dispatches the session of one of the servers in the farm.  Radware
allows you to plug your IDS right into the accelerator/load balancer.  I
don't know too much about F5.

It's not as bad as that..

You need to redefine "SSL accelerators" - it also includes any form of Reverse proxy. So set up Apache + mod_ssl/mod_proxy or Microsoft ISA server and you're away laughing. Your users talk HTTPS to the frontend, and your IDS sees all the unencrypted traffic heading back to the backend servers.

It works well, and doesn't cost much at all :-)

Oh yeah - and if you've got <10Mbs Internet links, the performance is fine too. A couple of years ago I benchmarked an Apache 1.3.?? server on an AMD 1200 Linux reverse proxy pushing ~6Mbs HTTPS traffic at about 10% CPU load - that was without SSL session caching (which really affects throughput). In reality, you need a big pipe to justify Big Iron.

Jason Haar