Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snorting SSL

From: "James R. Hendrick" <hendrick () keane-nne com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 15:02:59 -0400

Hmmm. I suppose if you had a way to grab the site's private key, you could decrypt the traffic for every individual
session the same way the real server does.  (I assume you know basically how SSL works. The traffic is encrypted with a
new key for each client session. To decrypt traffic encrypted with these session keys you need the private key of the
server which is not the same as it's certificate.)

It would seem to me that the CPU load would quickly bottleneck a software IDS that tried to do this.

I agree with the poster who suggested putting your web server(s) behind an encryption device (we love Alteons) so that
it sees only unencrypted traffic. (This is also a great way to improve performance and reliability.) If you did this,
you might also want to sniff the line in front of the encryption engine(s) since they don't forward all traffic they
see *to* the web servers.

Is this what you had in mind?

Jim