Snort mailing list archives

Re: Q: Barnyard on multiple interfaces

From: "Andrew R. Baker" <andrewb () snort org>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 22:45:12 -0400

Gordon Cunningham wrote:
I'm having problems with running snort on 3-4 interfaces on the same machine
(separate invocations, conf and log files - one for each interface), and
running barnyard to pick up the logs and insert them into a remote ACID
MySQL database (again, separate invocation and conf files - one for each
interface).  The main problem I'm seeing is either the db inserts don't work
at all, or all implementations of barnyard input the same info into all
sensor ID's (the primary snort interface).

You probably need to adjust your Barnyard configuration files to either properly specify the interface name or the sensor id you want events inserted as in the database.

Specifying the sensor id directly is easiest, you just change the value for the sensor_id argument in the XXX_acid_db output plugin. Each interface you run Snort on will need to have its own sensor id.

If you want to be fancier, you can remove the sensor_id option completely from the XXX_acid_db output plugin and instead set the interface and hostname config variables. Doing this will cause Barnyard to query the database for the appropriate sensor id and create a new one if necessary. Setting these values would be done with the following lines in the Barnyard configuration file:

config interface: eth0
config hostname: snorthost

I recommend the 2nd choice, since that matches more closely to what Snort does. You can also specify the BPF filter used for the sensor instance if you want with:

config filter: not port 22

Let me know if either of the above methods does not fix the problem you are seeing.

-A