Snort mailing list archives

RE: Still Help Needed: i want to make a firewall

From: "Michael Steele" <michaels () silicondefense com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 20:19:23 -0700

Matt,

Snort is an IDS (Intrusion Detection System), not an IPS (Intrusion
Prevention System). It's had to make some people understand that.

As far as a firewall; there is a bunch of choices out there.

1. Configure an Open BSD box...
2. Hardware firewall (Cisco, etc...)
3. If they are running Windows XP, XP has a built in Firewall, and IPSec.
4. ISA Server
5. Zone Alarm
6. Black Ice

I'm sure there are a lot more options. It just all depends on how much money
they want to spend.

On NT4 Server/2000/XP/2003 Server they can run the IDS in promiscuous mode,
and stick it anywhere as long as they are accessing the console from
localhost; the IDS is completely transparent. This can also be done on any
*nix IDS. If they need remote access to the Windows desktop, install another
NIC, install an SSH server, and then use port forwarding to the remote
desktop, or to Terminal Services. As far as I know it only requires one port
to be opened.

 -Michael

 mailto:michaels () silicondefense com