Snort mailing list archives

Re: capturing arp

From: Edin Dizdarevic <edin.dizdarevic () interActive-Systems de>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 16:33:11 +0200

Hi,

is that an MS "feature"? ;)

Because, to capture _only_ ARP packets in Ethereal you can specify the
filter arp after hitting Ctrl-K (Capture). Same effect with "tcpdump
-i eth1 arp". However, I didn't try that on Win yet...

ARP packets are not being handled by the hardware only. It would be
virtually impossible to create them with Nemessis then. Other wicked
things would not work too (ARP-Flooding, f. ex.). You can even change
your MAC jit, at least with Linux...

I suppose you have to turn the arpspof preprocessor on as well in
order to alert on ARPs.

Regards,

Edin

Spencer, Arthur wrote:
In all of my tests you can't capture arp packets because they are
handled in hardware.  If you use Nemesis and generate an ARP packet it
isn't captured by Ethereal or Network General Sniffer.
* Arthur J. Spencer (CISSP, CCNP, CCDP, MCSE, CNE)