Snort mailing list archives

Re: license Question

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 17:47:40 -0400

At 12:18 PM 6/30/2003 -0700, Sh J wrote:
Hello u all,

My question concern the leagal issue of snort.
If i want to give a paying customers support for snort that's include installing and maintenance(remote&local) .
Whar r my limits?

Note: I'm not a lawyer, if you want a proper legal opinion, you should ask a lawyer not me.

Really you should read the LICENSE file that comes with snort for the full terms and details (it's GPL v2)

I'd advise particular attention to sections 1, 3 and 6, which seem to cover parts most relevant to doing installs of unmodified copies of plain snort.

From my perspective the most important part of all of it is when you are installing it for them you are technically distributing it and you have to provide them with the source code, or a written offer to give them the source code to snort. You also must provide them with a copy of the license.

I'd suggest giving them a CD with an unpacked copy of the complete snort source you built from, and an additional printed copy of the license. This should cover several of the stronger clauses of the GPL, but there may be other requirements that aren't springing immediately to my mind.