Snort mailing list archives

Re: id check returned root ?!?!

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 15:29:12 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003, Michael D. Schleif wrote:

I am fairly new to snort, and I've just begun analyzing my logs.

I have my home office network, from which I am writing this post, that
is NAT'ed behind an ipchains firewall.  This system is: 192.168.123.150

I also have a web/email server hosted by tera-byte.com: 216.234.189.108

Last week I received several of these:

4  216.234.189.108  192.168.123.150  ATTACK RESPONSES id check returned root

Now, I have come to realize that this is a dangerous situation.

I run chkrootkit daily and have _nothing_ to report.

What should I do?

Look at the packet not the alert.  From an alert you really can't tell
what happened, only that something did.

If you're logging to binary (pcap) to get the packet it's as simple as:

        snort -dvr <pcap_filename> 'host 216.234.189.108' |less

And that will show you all the packets that it could have been.

Now the fun part:  Figuring out what went on.  :)  You may find out that
this is a normal packet from a webmail application or somehting of the
sort.

If you're not logging to binary, well...  Either start and look at the
packets or 'hope'.  :)

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams