Snort mailing list archives

Re: id check returned root ?!?!

From: "Michael D. Schleif" <mds () helices org>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 12:31:31 -0500

Also sprach Nicholas Delo (Sat 28 Jun 02003 at 12:58:26PM -0400):
Check the packet contents to make sure that it is not a false positive.
Email from the snort-users and snort-sigs mailing lists always triggers
this alert on my IDS. Check the source and dest ports, it may be something
like source port 110 (if you are using pop3) on your mail server to an
unprivladged port on your mail client.

I am fairly new to snort, and I've just begun analyzing my logs.

I have my home office network, from which I am writing this post, that
is NAT'ed behind an ipchains firewall.  This system is: 192.168.123.150

I also have a web/email server hosted by tera-byte.com: 216.234.189.108

Last week I received several of these:

4  216.234.189.108  192.168.123.150  ATTACK RESPONSES id check returned
root

Now, I have come to realize that this is a dangerous situation.

I run chkrootkit daily and have _nothing_ to report.

What should I do?

--
Best Regards,

mds

Is it safe to *assume* that if my box is _not_ the destination `to',
then I am *NOT* under attack?

In other words, if my box is compromised, won't _it_ be sending id=root
to the remote boxen?

What do you think?

--
Best Regards,