Snort mailing list archives

Re: stealth interface

From: Keg <snrtlst () netscape net>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 16:02:38 -0400

Let's say you want to have the eth1 without IP assigned:

1.Go to /etc/sysconifg/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 adn edit it to look like this:
DEVICE=eth1
ONBOOT=no

2. Create custom startup script for that interface
- Go to /etc/init.d and do touch <your-script-name> && chmod +x <your-script-name>
- Edit this script tp include the following line: ifconfig eth1 up

3. Go to /etc/rc3.d and create the link to that script.
ln -s /etc/init.d/<your-script-name> S90eth1up (whatever name you choose but male sure it starts with S and number should be bigger than the one that starts service network)

That should do it.

d_greenjr wrote:

Can someone tell me or give me the URL on how to create an interface with no ipaddr (stealth), on a linux [RH8] system? (Not the receive only cable-I saw that in the snort FAQs) I have searched the Internet and the snort archives but have not found a message/page that describes what to do-only the end results. Thanks