Snort mailing list archives

hardware requirements

From: "Brei, Matt" <mbrei () medclaiminc com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 11:56:11 -0400

Greetings,

I would like to get an idea on what type of hardware you are all running
snort on and what size network it services.  I plan on using
snort/MySQL/acid to monitor internet usage and log policy violation on a
network with about 100 users.  I have the same basic set up at home with
snort running on a 450 K6-2 logging to MySQL/acid on a 1100 Athlon both
using PC133 and standard IDE drives (ATA100 and UDMA66).  With this many
users and having all of the components (snort/MySQL/acid) all on 1
machine, would It be a good idea to go with SCSI, DDR and 10/100/1000?
This setup also needs to be scalable up to about 250 users.

Thanks,

Matt Brei