Snort mailing list archives

(no subject)

From: Juergen Anthamatten <juergen.anthamatten () gmx net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 17:32:41 +0200 (MEST)

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, Juergen Anthamatten wrote:

[...snip...]

Rule application order: alert->pass->alarm

[...snip...]

By default, pass rules are applied last.  You need to change the order of
the applications of rules.  With custom types, they are applied last
unless you change the order.

You can change the order with "-o" or a config directive.  If you want
'alarm' to go first, then you need to use the config directive [0]:

      config order:  alarm pass alert dynamic

Cheers!

thx for the reply.

the rule order "alert->pass->alarm" is what I want and I'm using already
"config order:  alert pass alarm ..."

the problem was that for about 99% of syn-acks from 64.232.48.230
( of the form: 64.232.48.230.80 > universe.unpriv: S
2146395230:2146395230(0) ack...)
the pass rule was matching and for about 1% the alarm rule.
Even if the order of "pass" and "alarm" would be wrong, 100% of the syn-acks
from  64.232.48.230:80 have to match either the pass rule or the alarm rule,
but not some the pass-rule and some the alarm-rule...

Andrew R. Baker's suggestion to use the latest version from the CVS-tree
fixed the problem....

./juergen