Snort mailing list archives

Re: performance concern

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 15:45:33 -0400

At 01:37 PM 6/17/2003 -0500, Francisco Morosini wrote:
Hi!, i have an concern, i have a machine with IIS 5.0 and i ask if is
possible run the IDS with the WEB SERVER in the same machine or i have
troubles of performance?

Depends totally on the load, and what kind of hardware you are running on if this will have performance issues. Heck, without defining load and hardware, you can't even ascertain if you'll have performance issues without IIS, much less what will happen with IIS added to the picture.

However my biggest hesitation would be security, not performance. If you want snort to watch your webserver for attack, bear in mind that if your IIS is successfully hacked, a reasonably skilled attacker can very easily erase their tracks if snort is on the same system and logging its data there.

This alone is one VERY good reason to run snort on a machine that is as isolated from any possibility of exploit if you want to use it to track down "what happened" after an attack. My snort box isn't even allowed to send data to any machine outside the local network by the firewall (actually two firewalls both block this, one on the snort box itself, and one in the network border router.) It's also not allowed to do recursive DNS queries.