Snort mailing list archives

Snort on separate machine stealth interface

From: Paolo Meridiani <Paolo.Meridiani () roma1 infn it>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 06:58:43 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,
        suppose that you want to run SNORT only to monitor traffic
arriving on a public interface of single machine  (A) in a switched
netowrk,
and
you want that SNORT runs on a separate machine (B) on a stealth interface
(eth1), but i cannot use neither TAP nor spanning port.
What I'd like to do is to send packet to & from eth0 of (A) through its
eth1 attached to an internal hub, where also eth1 of (B) is
attached. What I have in mind is a sort of TAP for eth0 with linux
kernel. I've tried with forwarding on (A) but I hadn't success.

Any suggestion?

Paolo Meridiani