Snort mailing list archives

RE: SCAN UPnP service discover attempt

From: "Schmehl, Paul L" <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 10:48:33 -0500

Unless you really use it, I would disable the UPnP service entirely (as
well as the SSDP service.)  I wrote an article for Securityfocus [0]
about the buffer overflow that eEye found in SSDP (announced right after
the launch of XP), and the potential for exploitation of this service is
scary.  Microsoft appears to have given very little thought to the
potential for hacking this service.

The UPnP service is not started by default, however the SSDP service is.
I would disable both and have on every machine I use.

[0] http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1548

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas