Snort mailing list archives

SCAN UPnP service discover attempt

From: Mark Williamson <snortuser () nunswithguns co uk>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 15:17:31 +0000

Greetings,

There are two hosts on this network that every 5 seconds or so cause snort to alert

          [**] [1:1917:4] SCAN UPnP service discover attempt [**]
          [Classification: Detection of a Network Scan] [Priority: 3]

each alert is repeated 3 times from each host to the same destination (the gateway router on this network)

Both of the hosts are running Windows XP and Snort is running on Slackware 9.0.0

I see on the snort.org site what this is SID:1917 - but the part that troubles me is the False Positive and False Negative sections -

      False Positives: A scanner may be used in a security audit.
      False Negatives: None Known.

If this is the case why am i seeing these hosts "ticking" like this?
Any help on this matter would be much appreciated, I've rtfm and googled and checked the mail archive yet i find no answers to my quandry.

Thanks again,

Mark