Snort mailing list archives

RE: Help with a config file please?

From: "L. Christopher Luther" <CLuther () Xybernaut com>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 17:40:13 -0500

I guess I need to better understand the net config to which your
interfaceless NIC is attached and the net config where the ACID console is
attached.  Are you switched?  Have you used a tap?  How exactly is it that
Snort can see all of the traffic?

Your snort.conf specifies two net blocks as your HOME_NET (var HOME_NET
[1.2.3.190/28,5.6.7.0/24]).  Which net block is Snort listening on?  Which
net block contains the other IP devices you're trying to watch?

You also stated "I am now able to see portscans going to the IP address of
the snort device", but you also said that the second NIC in the Snort device
is interface-less.

So what other details can you give us?  It sounds like something in the net
config is not matching up.

- Christopher

P.S. As a FYI, Snort understands BFP filters in the same way that WinDump
does.