Snort mailing list archives

Re: Very basic question

From: Demetri Mouratis <dmourati () cm math uiuc edu>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 13:25:27 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 21 May 2003, Ryan Koster wrote:

Sorry for a basic question but I am new to all this.  I am running
Redhat 9 with two nics.  I would like to set eth0 with no ip address but
still be able to listen for IP traffic.  Can someone please tell me how
this is done?

Thanks,
Ryan

No problem.  Here's what I have on RedHat 7.3, should work just fine for
you.  Eth0 is the management interface, eth1 is the stealth interface so
switch it around for your setup.

# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
DEVICE=eth0
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=10.1.64.21
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
GATEWAY=10.1.64.15

cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
DEVICE=eth1
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=static