Snort mailing list archives

Snort output redirection buffered

From: JP Vossen <vossenjp () netaxs com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 12:39:29 -0400 (EDT)

It seems like Snort output is buffered quite a bit.  When running version
2.0.0 (Build 72) on Red Hat 8.0 2.4.18-27.8.0 as follows, the traffic is very
bursty:
        snort -vdCqi eth1 udp port 514 | SomeScript.pl
        snort -vdCqi eth1 udp port 514 | tee somefile

It seems like there is a buffer of between about 1500 - 2000 bytes.  Does that
make sense or is there someone else I'm missing?  Any way to turn it off w/o
patching the source?  If no, how hard would it be to patch the source (assume
I know almost nothing about C :-)?

Thanks,
JP
JP Vossen, CISSP              |:::======|                jp () jpsdomain org
"The software said it requires Windows XP or better, so I installed
Linux..."