Snort mailing list archives

Snort is not seeing all traffic...

From: PJ-ML <p.jones.ml () xsb com>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 23:23:49 -0400

Hello all.
Just completed a new install. Snort 2.0, RH9 with mysql and acid on a server that is 347MHz with 256 MB ram. (I would like to consider myself learned, but often find that my lack of experience places me in the newb category)

I ran some exploits on the snort server and acid reported them. I ran the same exploits on a server in the same sub-net and acid does not report any of this. I looked at the alert file in /var/log/snort and nothing regarding the exploits run against the other server are there. I am confused. I specified my HOME_NET, for example 10.25.1.0/24... The snort server is 10.24.1.24 and the server I also ran exploits on is 10.25.1.20.

The ethernet link to hub and to other parts of the network are all 100. Could it be the speed of the server? I am lost in fog. Not sure where to go, I know that I must tune the server...but I do not know what to tune if it is not seeing even purposeful exploits...I will be more than happy to give any more info that anyone requires to help me figure this out except for the root password to my machine ;-)

Thanks everyone.

~PJ