Snort mailing list archives

Role of snort.conf regarding rules? (noob)

From: stormshadow <storm-shadow () comcast net>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 01:37:09 -0400

Quick note: I sent this from my work email and I dont think it made it
to the list. Here it is again:

From what I've read on the faqs, all the rule sets for IDS mode have to
be made in the snort.conf file?  Is this how many of you are running
snort?
Hence the example in the FAQs:

"./snort -d -h 192.168.1.0/24 -l ./log -c snort.conf
Where snort.conf is the name of your rules file. This will apply the
rules set in the snort.conf file to each packet to decide if an action
based upon the rule type in the file should be taken."

So does this mean any rules should be made directly in the snort.conf
file? (adding/editing rules etc). Or, can the "snort.conf"  be
substituted with any rule set you have?
 (EX: snort -d 172.16.0.9/3 log -c rule_file_here)

I guess I'm confused on what role snort.conf plays in rules.
What exactly should be done to the snort.conf?
Thanks