Snort mailing list archives

OT: list archives and e-mail addresses (Re: OT - Spam)

From: "Andrew R. Baker" <andrewb () snort org>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 09:31:10 -0400

bmcdowell () coxhealthplans com wrote:
I've noticed that by doing a google search for my own e-mail address, it only appears on web-archives of these two mailing lists.
 Could you respective Admins please take steps to obfuscate the actual e-mail addresses before posting them to the web?  As I
understand it, 'bare' e-mail addresses on web pages are big targets for spammers.  I enjoy participating in these lists,
however I have notices that my inbound spam has tripled since I joined them.

If it can't be fixed, I can respect that.  But it can, you'd probably be doing your user-base a huge favor.

From a quick look at a few of them, they do appear to obfuscate the mail address in the header; however, they do not obfuscate addresses that are found within the content of the message (as are sometimes included in responses).

-Andrew R. Baker
Your (occasionally) friendly list admin