Snort mailing list archives

Re: Help

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 12:07:28 -0500

No you can not reconstruct all that traffic from your snort logs unless all the tcp port 25 traffic generated alerts that caused the packets to be logged.

I suppose you could write a rule to cause all traffic from that user to port 25 to be logged by snort, but that's a silly thing to do.

Just use tcpdump and leave snort out of it.. this kind of 'log everything matching a simple IP/port combination" is what tcpdump was designed to do.

Snort is intended to sift through lots of traffic looking for more complicated things like strings and only log a small portion of the traffic which matches them. To use it as a tcpdump replacement is pretty silly.